There aren’t many business tales as long or storied as Shop Direct’s. And one man who has played a huge part in the narrative is today’s podcast guest, Jonathan Wall.
Its famous mail order system has been ripped out, and in its place is a slick ecommerce operation. Jonathan Wall is the man behind that operation so I was very excited to get him on the show.
We talked about:
• Shop Direct’s journey since Jonathan joined in 2010, particularly its fashion brand Very;
• Why it was a blessing in disguise to be late to digital;
• Introducing a ‘fail fast’ culture to a catalogue business;
• App vs mobile web, and the one main difference that came up in user testing;
• What’s the right level of personalisation? And how Shop Direct achieves it;
• How AI and machine learning will change customer service;
• Very’s buyer persona, ‘Miss Very’, and how it permeates the culture of the company;
• The HIPPO dilemma;
• Cultivating an atmosphere of innovation in a large company;
• And the three things that really excite Jonathan about the future.