In a classic case of startup culture, it was in a cosy server room where I spoke to Kris Naudts, a former psychiatrist and now founder and CEO of Culture Trip.
Culture trip is a content publisher with the brains of a tech company. Kris started Culture Trip as a global company, and it’s now growing into its own clothes – and busting out of its office as you’ll hear.
Kris surprised me with stories from Culture Trip’s early days, where the norms associated with building a company seemed to have been thrown out of the window.
We talked about:
• The amazing rate of Culture Trip’s expansion and the growing pains that ensued;
• How a pragmatic and relentless approach helped in the early days;
• Kris’ ‘winner takes all’ mindset;
• Looking back, would Kris do anything differently? (His answer is very honest);
• Why London was the best place for Culture Trip to settle;
• What drew Kris away from psychiatry and into the startup world;
• How Culture Trip lasted with a three-month horizon for three years;
• And Kris’ plans to take on Buzzfeed & Vice in the ‘quality content’ sector.