The Curve emerged from Nicholas’ work in video games, where so much is given away for free. He developed a business model that allows different types of fans to engage with (and pay) your brand in different ways.
Now, Nicholas advises creative businesses on strategy and has been working on a really cool book series called ‘The World of Supersaurs’ which comes with an incredible AR app.
It’s not just games companies that will enjoy this episode – The Curve model and Nicholas’ thoughts on “earning the right to talk to people” will chime with content marketers as well.
We talked about:
• ‘Free’ as a tool for competition;
• How the concept of ‘free’ should be used in a long-term plan;
• The concept of the ‘superfan’ and how to create them;
• How Nespresso transcended the supermarket to go direct-to-consumer;
• How content can contribute to identity and remove buyer’s remorse;
• Why you need to start by considering what your customers want;
• How content marketing is a good starting point;
• The ‘content trap’;
• The different types of risk;
• ‘The World of Supersaurs’;
• On the content and completion of his next project ‘The pyramid of game design’;
• And the difference between free-to-play and freemium.