On this show I’ve spoken to a few people whose remit is to innovate from within big established brands. Sebastian Peck is one such person – he’s the MD of InMotion Ventures, the innovation arm of Jaguar Land Rover.
InMotion is split into two very distinct parts; a traditional incubator, where his team have free reign to be creative problem solvers; and an investment arm which operates much like a traditional VC on behalf of Jaguar Land Rover. It’s a fascinating operation and a huge opportunity for Sebastian, who’s been in the role a little over a year.
We talked about:
- The way our cities are built around cars, and how that’s starting to change;
- InMotion Ventures’ two distinct parts;
- What Sebastian sees as Jaguar Land Rover’s 3 pillars of innovation;
- The challenges and benefits of being associated with such a huge brand;
- How to keep the right amount of distance as an investor;
- A particularly exciting InMotion investment and a top-secret original project;
- Allowing for serendipity with investments and partnerships;
- What’s holding back the concept car-sharing in western countries;
- Is it less attractive to own a car for millennials? Or is it just more difficult?
- The top things Sebastian looks for in a pitch;
- Navigating the politics of a big company like JLR;
- The impact of Tesla on the industry and public perception;
- And some big bets for the future of mobility.